Udawalawe National Park

 
This National Park straddles the Sabaragamuwa and Uva provinces and includes the Udawalawe Reservoir, together with much of its catchment area. Its altitudes range from about 330 ft. (100m) on the plains to 1225 ft. (373m) at the top of Ulgala, the highest point within the park.
 
This park is surrounded by cultivated land and the park area is around 30,821 ha. In extent.
 
View Gallery


Udawalawe Elephant Orphanage (Eth Athuru Sevana)

 
The elephant Transit Home, since its inception in 1995, has helped care for dozens of injured, sick, or orphaned baby elephants from all over Sri Lanka. Visitors to the home are able to observe an animated group of around 20 or 30 juvenile and teenage pachyderms, who are fed four times a day. The resident animal are looked after until they are deemed fit enough to be released back into the wild, after which they closely monitored for investigational purposes, as well as their own safety.
 
View Gallery


Vavulpane Limestone Cave

 
(Discovered in 1938 Researchers believe there are about one million Bats in the cave. The height is 45cm. The cave is 135m in length)
 
View Gallery
 


Maha Saman Devalaya

 
(Originally built in the 13th century)
Lord Buddhas sacred Tooth Relic was kept hidden in Kurahan stone in the Delgamuwa Temple in Kuruwita, in protection of Portuguese invasion. Yet midst great threat and danger the Dlada Perahera was held and the sacred Tooth Relic brought in procession from Delgamuwa Temple to Saman Devalaya. This ceremony took place continuously from eleven years which is recorded as a great significant religious and historical happening. Later the sacred Tooth Relic was safely removed to Kandy and kept in the Dalada Maligawa. Symbalize This event by hiving a special Dalada Perahera in the procession held annually.
 
Maha Saman Devalaya is a shrine dedicated to the god Saman. The god Saman is (a Buddhist deity) considered to be the guardian of Ratnapura. When the Portuguese captured Ratnapura, the ancient shrine that stood at this location was destroyed and a Portuguese church was constructed on top of it. When the Kandyan kingdom recaptured Ratnapura, the Portuguese church was destroyed and the shrine was rebuilt. Although there is no direct evidence to support the existence of the old shrine, indirect evidence supports the existence of a shrine that looked like a Hindu temple at the current location before Portuguese times. Currently, this shrine is a very important place of worship for Buddhists.
 
Every August, this shrine conducts a traditional festival for two weeks every night. This ceremony may be the oldest precession in Sri Lanka. According to a poem sung in “Gara Yakuma” dance, relating to Rama Ravana Story and God Sumana Saman.
 
View Gallery


Bopath Falls

 
(The Height is 40m and the Bopath fall cascades in the shape of a leaf of a Bo tree)
 
View Gallery


Adam’s Peak  (Sri Pada)

 
(It is believed that Lord Buddha placed his foot print on the summit of this sacred mountain during his third visit to Sri Lanka. The mountain is 7,362 feet high; it is the fifth highest mountain in the country. During December to May thousands of devotees climb the mountain to pay obeisance.)
 
View Gallery


Diva Guhawa

 
(The cave in which Lord Buddha spent the day after placing the footprint on Sri Pada.  Near by the Adam’s Peak Mountain)

 
View Gallery


Pelmadulla Raja Maha Viharaya

 
(This is a Tampita Vihara built on Sixteen Pillars and it’s over 400 years old. The main Viharaya was constructed during the British period in 1819 and accommodates figures of 28 previous Buddhas and a large number of religious events in the form of murals.
A rare feature is that the wall painting of the life of Jesus Christ including Virgin Mary is in the Temple. This is unusual for a Buddhist Temple.)

 
View Gallery


Sinharaja Forest

 
(The word Sinharaja means, Lion (Sinha) King (Raja). The inaccessible wilderness of Sri Lanka’s rain forest of which the extent is perhaps over 100,000 ha. of the South Western hill and low lands. The present reserve occupies a narrow strip of land 21km in length & 3.7km in width, covering 11,187 ha. of undisturbed & logged forest, scrub and fern land.

In 1840, Sinharaja was named as a crown property under waste land ordinance.
The value of Sinharaja Forest is well known their functions as watersheds and store houses of great biological wealth. It is a rich treasure trove of nature with great diversity of habitats and a vast repository of Sri Lanka’s endemic species found no where else in the world.

To visit Sinharaja Rain Forest you have to leave the hotel at 5.00 a.m. Guest will be provided takeaway B’fast packets according to the basis booked. It takes 02 hours to go to the Rain Forest.
 
View Gallery